Friday, October 5, 2018

5/ The Young Man on the Bicycle

It happened so quickly, but I remember how clean-cut he looked, how collegiate. I was in my early 20’s, and he appeared to be too—maybe a little younger. I was uptown for some reason, standing in the street on Madison Avenue, trying to hail a cab to get home. It was late in the day, but still light, so it must have been one of the warmer months. And I know I wasn’t wearing a jacket. He was on a bicycle, appearing suddenly in my peripheral vision on the left. As he passed me, without slowing down he reached out and grabbed my breast.

A little thing, some might think, but I was tearful in the cab on the way home. How many other women did he do this to? Did he keep score? Did he hide his habit from his fellow students and/or co-workers? Or did he brag? Did he marry and have children? Did he become a teacher? A lawyer? A judge?


4 comments:

  1. Yes. Horrifying. Thank you for this. (And I worry for all Americans today.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who think that is a little thing are people who haven't had something like that happen to them, and don't want to imagine it. That's the horror part of this post. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's on the supreme court now. And he still likes beer.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...