Wednesday, August 1, 2018

1/ August - Poetry & Form

The Pantoum

If you ever find yourself in the position of needing to write a poem (an unlikely scenario, I know), consider the pantoum. A pantoum consists of four-line stanzas that are repeated in a pattern: Lines 2 and 4 of each stanza are repeated as lines 1 and 3 of the next stanza. You can go on like that indefinitely, and have the last stanza follow the same pattern. Or (I prefer this) you can write the last stanza this way: The first and third lines are as usual the same as the second and fourth lines in the stanza above it, but lines 2 and 4 are the same as the third and first lines of the very first stanza—making the first line of the poem the same as the last.

Because writing a pantoum involves a lot of filling in blanks, it goes quickly and seems relatively easy. As with all structured forms, you may be surprised at what turns up on the page. It may be something you hadn't thought of at all.

Oh, crap. I forgot about the word limit.

11 comments:

  1. I love pantoums! I need to throw one in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing now. And you need to show us one of yours. I wrote a sestina a bazillion years ago. I wonder how embarrassing it is now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sestinas are fun too. See? I gave you an idea for one of your August posts!

      Delete
  3. Ha! Although I admit to becoming confused over the structure... is there some form that's even easier to write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots! Consider the prose poem, for instance, which isn't even broken up into short lines. And I hope to see a bunch of classic 5-syllable/7-syllable/5-syllable haiku this month.

      Delete
    2. This month's Leader of the Pack will no doubt provide plenty of inspiration.

      Delete
  4. You (and maybe Josh?) are the only two people I have ever heard go on about the pantoum. I loved to one you posted today and have loved ones you've posted in the past.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...