Saturday, August 11, 2018

11/ Winslow Homer: The Gulf Stream

This was definitely written for the WritersBBS. The challenge: Choose a painting from several offered, and write a poem to go with it. I've since done this for real-life exhibits, and really enjoyed it.

                         Winslow Homer:  The Gulf Stream


Fear not for me, for battered bones
encased in splinters sodden, old;
skin baked to shell, eyes salted shut—
my sinew has not dried to dust.

Though sea beasts test the toothsome hull,
though whitecaps’ clamor mocks my thirst,
radiance floods this shielded soul;
our Father hears what none have heard.

My rescue sails before my eyes,
divided though it be in two:
Man will haul me to the shore,
or God will lift me to the skies.

I’ll bless the wind, the fervid sun,
the glitter of the ocean’s jewels,
creatures true to all they own,
when at last I reach my home.


The Gulf Stream


11 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I miss those challenges. They took so much time but some great stuff came of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. You won't believe this, but yesterday I was editing an article in which this painting played a part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am ashamed of my little ditties when I read yours. You're quite highbrow, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is probably my most highbrow poem. :-)

      Delete
  4. I bow to your genius. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. It reminded me a little of Burns, but understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Mali said about highbrow! Very!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So here's a question for everyone: Should I get rid of the last stanza?

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...