Friday, August 10, 2018

10/ Kyrielle

I learned about the kyrielle this morning. It's French, and consists of at least two 4-line stanzas (quatrains) with eight syllables each line and a rhyme scheme. The last line of each stanza is a refrain. I must say I'm not crazy about the eight syllables. I'd rather do four beats per line, putting the stress where I want it and not worrying about the syllable count.


Gillian (a kyrielle)

She stands near flowers on the porch,
sunbeams exploding in her hair.
She lights up spaces like a torch.
I took the picture. I was there.

Horse and rider levitation:
beautiful girl, beautiful mare.
Thrilling hunt seat equitation.
I took the picture. I was there.

Seated in the flower garden,
rainbows of petals everywhere.
Begging all the insects’ pardon,
I took the picture. I was there.

He holds his just-born little girl,
the image of paternal care.
Mysterious, how life unfurls.
I took the picture. I was there.




6 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Susan. I admire your bravery in attempting what sounds like a difficult form. (And I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the poetic insistence created by repeating lines is so powerful.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the way you've worked backwards, and painted such lovely pictures, written like a photographer.

    And do I now have to add Kyrielle to my list? I'm loving discovering new forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another wonderful Gillian poem. It belongs in a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. You wow me. Seriously. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. These forms are all new to me...loving this month as a reader!

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...