Saturday, October 6, 2018

6/ A New York Thing to Say (Story, Part I)


It was the usual sort of evening in Washington Square when I suggested to Eric that I kill his wife.

Taxis blew their horns on Fifth Avenue. Two Russians near our bench engaged in a loud chess match. Some old men played a card game in another language. Humming loudly, a woman sat on the ground, picking at her bare feet. A couple of aging hippies sat in silence, moving small stones around a board. A skinny guy strummed and sang on the grass, and another guitar could be heard not far away. The effect was a little discordant, but you wouldn’t think so if you understood Washington Square and New York City.

I understood both very well. The Square was everything I loved about New York, and New York was everything I’d wanted it to be back when I was wasting my talents on a dirt road in Wisconsin.


4 comments:

  1. I love this description of Washington Square. I am fascinated at the rest and where it might go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this except maybe Wisconsin being a place the narrator feels is a wasteful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - there's a certain charm to the idea of a dirt road in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...