Saturday, July 28, 2018

24/ My High-School Years

I read many books during the time I was in high school, but tonight I remember relatively few.

Appointment in Samarra and others by John O'Hara
Anything by Harold Robbins and that other guy (I just remembered: Sidney Sheldon)
Banner With a Strange Device, by Arona McHugh
The Mr. & Mrs. North books by Frances & Richard Lockridge
Cape Fear, by John D. MacDonald*
All of J.D. Salinger's
Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
My Cousin Rachel          "
On the Beach, by Nevil Shute
Naked Lunch, by William Burroughs
Bonjour Tristesse, by Francoise Sagan
The Haunting of Hill House and others by Shirley Jackson
Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov . . . lots and lots of sci-fi
Hawaii, by James Michener
Auntie Mame, by Patrick Dennis
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith

* Later, when I was working at Lincoln Center, so many of us in the office were John D. MacDonald fans that we had a chart posted on the bulletin board showing who had which book, and which ones each of us had read.

6 comments:

  1. Within the lat few years I read all of Shirley Jackson and reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...in high school, I did go through a Harold Robbins phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a good biography of Shirley Jackson some years ago: Private Demons, by Judy Oppenheimer. And I recently put this one on my Kindle: Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume My Cousin Rachel is the sequel to My Cousin Vinny. I am alarmed at how few of these I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rachel and Vinnie got married. But it didn't work out.

      Delete
  4. I have read a few of those. I own The Haunting of Hill House but have not yet read it. I loved "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". I also loved the few Daphne du Maurier books I have read. In response to your comment about Victoria Holt on my blog post -- I also read Phyllis A. Whitney.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...