Wednesday, April 18, 2018

18/ The Sag Harbor Boys

I loved their collegiate good looks, their fast boats, their humor, their manners. On the last day of my 17th summer they docked their boats at Jim's house, one bringing a new record for us all to hear. We sat silently in the living room's late-summer sun and listened to The Kingston Trio's first album—our introduction to folk music. When I seek an example of the innocence of those times, I find that day.

Pat (seated) and me, both 16, with Jim in 1959. The unforgettable Sag Harbor summers . . . 

7 comments:

  1. I can hear the birds and feel the heat coming up off the ground in this picture. What a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, and brought to mind a favorite song by The Decemberists: Lake Song. Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cErckfwG_8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the preceding comments. Hold on to this memory, it's definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all. Kim, I love that music! His voice, the lyrics, and the sound. I hadn't heard of The Decemberists, but I'll look forward to hearing more. Cool that they're not all that young. My first thought when I saw the title was that there's a big difference between a lake and a bay, but the song was perfect. One of those Sag Harbor boys (and I know which one) could have written those words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am shivering in a cold waiting room waiting for a car. This photo helps.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...