Tuesday, August 14, 2018

14/ Report on the Galapagos

I've been picking away at this for a week or so.

Report on the Galapagos

There’s the boat I never boarded
for the cruise I never took.
There’s the stateroom, there’s the table
set for meals I never shared.
See the islands never hopped,
the hiking trails I never followed.
See the iguanas, the Lightfoot Crabs,
Darwin’s finches, the giant tortoise.
Tame, they are, and so they wait
for my approach that never comes.

Fifty years ago we sat
sipping scotch. Or was it vodka?
I said I didn’t want to marry.
So many places I wanted to go.
He said, “I’ll show them all to you.”
I’m sure he meant it at the time.

I never flew to Ecuador,
never touched volcanic rock.
There’s a whale shark never spotted.
There’s the snorkel never tried.
My footprints never marred the sand.
There’s the sea, and here am I.


5 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I feel this for you deeply. The places never been. Could you not go to one or two of them now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, two problems with that. One, the three years my husband spent in a nursing home before he died drained my finances. It was like someone pulled a plug. The the other thing is health issues. They're an energy drain, and I have to pace myself. Plus back pain. The scoliosis I've had all my life was never a problem, and now it's a big one. I would have been a good tourist though.

      Delete
    2. That all sucks. I'm so sorry.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had a magic wand I could wave (or a nose I could wiggle) to banish all your health troubles and to call forth a free dream trip for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great—and as someone who may well never get to the Galapagos, but wishes she had enough in her to go (I write this during a delayed layover on a SHORT trip), I truly appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...