Tuesday, July 3, 2018

3/ My Year With the Nuns

My Year With the Nuns is the title of a middle-grade novel I've been writing for . . . oh, about 10 years? Fifteen? It's a mixture of fiction and fact, the facts being that I, a Protestant child, was sent to a Catholic convent boarding school for fifth and sixth grades after my mother died.

Of course now I wished I'd taken notes when I was 10 or 11, but even without notes I remember quite a bit. However, putting those bits together into a book with characters, conflict, and resolution requires more confidence than I possess. I think I might be okay with the characters, and I love writing dialogue, but . . . um . . . plot? That's another story. Literally.

Here's a small excerpt:

          I unpacked my clothes and put them in the dresser and wardrobe. The dresser drawers smelled funny, as though they hadn’t been used in a long time. I got undressed for bed quickly, putting my nightgown on and taking my underwear off underneath it, in case someone opened my curtain unexpectedly.
            In bed, the rough sheets and thin blankets didn’t comfort me. Everything in the room seemed to be “just enough” and no more--just enough blankets to keep me from being cold, just enough drawers to hold my clothing, just enough light from the lamp to see where I was.
            I didn’t want to see where I was. I wanted to be almost anywhere else. I had never felt so alone in my life. Goodnight, Daddy, I mouthed silently.

7 comments:

  1. Confession: I have a similar story about a young person who spends a short time with an aunt who is a Benedictine at a modern day monastery, and the observation of "just enough" is SPOT ON. Every visit I've ever had to every convent and monastery has been just enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you pretend you have enough confidence, and finish it anyway? Every excerpt I've ever seen was well-written, like this. At the very least, your grandchildren should have it.

    But I think plenty of others would love it too. The young girl coming-of-age story never gets old, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do finish it. I'll read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would too. Although I think perhaps the title should be changed to "Just enough."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that last line is a killer. Yes, to what everyone said. You should finish it! (Says she, who has a couple of almost finished books hiding in files on her computer)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Conor would tell you to "write the damn book," and he is rarely wrong.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...