Monday, July 2, 2018

2/ Midnight in Broad Daylight

I usually have two books going at the same time--an upstairs, read-in-bed book and a downstairs, read-on-my-Kindle-whenever book. Currently I'm reading a novel upstairs and (this is the unusual part) two nonfiction books about WWII downstairs. The one on my Kindle is Midnight in Broad Daylight, by Pamela Rotner Sakamoto.

It is the story of brothers born in the U.S. who end up fighting on different sides during the war--one in the United States Army, and two (reluctantly) in the Japanese Imperial Army. I don't believe I was taught in school about internment camps, about how Americans of Japanese ancestry were rounded up and incarcerated during the war, and although I heard of the concept when I grew up, this book has been a real eye-opener for me.

Amazon describes it as "a scathing examination of racism and xenophobia, an homage to the tremendous Japanese American contribution to the American war effort, and an invaluable addition to the historical record of this extraordinary time." I would add that the subject matter is timely. I hope it is widely read.

8 comments:

  1. It is quite timely. Have you read George takei's comments on the current situation that begin: "at least in the internment camps..."?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, although I've seen a bunch of stuff from him on FB, and have shared some. Smart guy.

      Delete
    2. I got to see his Broadway show on this topic!

      Delete
  2. You know, this month's topic is dangerous. I really don't need to make my book lists longer, and posts like yours are forcing me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the people who need to read it can read. And Kim is spot on. My book list is going to be insane after this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sabine. And Kim. And I am envious of IB.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...