Saturday, July 14, 2018

12/ Outlander

I was in a CompuServe writing group with Diana Gabaldon when she was writing the first volume in her Outlander series. It was clear she was a very bright and knowledgeable woman (also very nice), but even after the book became a best-seller (yay, Diana!) I had no interest in reading it. As I've stated, I wasn't a romance reader, and I didn't read fantasy either. Over the years, the series' popularity grew without my participation.

Then a few years ago I was browsing my library's ongoing book sale as I always do after Scrabble on Thursday afternoons when I saw this unusually fat book pushing others out of its way on the shelf. Outlander. I thought, Why not? I paid $1 and took it home.

Well. I loved it instantly. I loved that it started out post-WWII and was set in Scotland. (My middle name is Campbell.) I loved the heroine, with her subtle, clever humor. I was fascinated with the stones. Once Claire went through them, I loved the history of that time and place. And of course I eventually loved Jamie--or, more accurately, I loved watching their relationship develop, obstacles and all.

I didn't love everything about the book . . . I could have done without the detailed description of Jamie's torture at the hands (and everything else) of the gay villain, for example. But by the time I (reluctantly) finished, I wanted to go to Scotland. I had no intention of going, and thought it was a little crazy that I'd even want to--that a book would have this effect on me. Then I read some Amazon reviews (as I often do after finishing a book) and learned that more than a few readers were so moved to go to Scotland that they actually went! I don't know what they expected to find . . . Jamie?

Anyway, my son gifted me with the entire series on my Kindle, but so far I've read only the first two books. I don't know why . . . I have a feeling if they were paper books I'd have finished them all by now, but reading 900+-page books can give you a repetitive strain injury, so that doesn't make much sense. I know two people who have read the entire series twice. At least I haven't done that. And I didn't go to Scotland.


8 comments:

  1. As I read this I found my inner voice reciting all the possible reasons that I should go to Scotland. I'm up to about 25, and haven't read the book or seen the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once wrote a poem entitled, "Why I've Always Wanted to Visit Scotland." But my reasons don't even come close to 25. Kim, it sounds like it's time for you to go.

      Delete
  2. A woman in my bookgroup -- a retired middle school history teacher -- has read the entire series and loved it. I am halfway through the first book (I did watch the tv version) and am always thinking I need to go back to it.

    I've been to Scotland three times -- two week-long trips, one a few days. The first was in 1976 during the heat wave -- I got a nice suntan at Loch Sween. The second was on my honeymoon where we only went to Edinburgh. The third time was in 2002 where we stayed a week on the Isle of Mull and also visited a farm that once was run by my ancestors. You folks need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read these books. I went to Scotland for 2.5 weeks in 1997 and it was one of the best trips of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read the books. Nor have I been to Scotland. I have seen Seasons 1 and 2 of Outlander and would love to go to Scotland, however. But I don't want to accidentally time travel while I'm there, so I will avoid large rocks if I ever do go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only read the first line (haven't even finished the first sentence yet), and I'm open-jawed with amazement again. OF COURSE you knew Diana Gabaldon! lol

    This book - which was published under the title Cross Stitch here - was when I first heard the phrase "bodice ripper." I've read all the books (I think - maybe not the last one). She became so fabulously successful that I think her editors became less vigilant, and her subsequent books are long and lengthy and far too detailed, and so can be harder to get through. I think the first and third books were my favourites (yes, I've read them several times). Watch the TV series - they've done a really good job of translating the books to screen.

    And I have Scottish ancestry, but still haven't gone. It is getting higher on my list now (it's always been a "we can go when we're old" destination), as ancestry has been joined by the pull of photography, and puffins.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...