Saturday, July 14, 2018

13/ Lois Duncan - Who Killed My Daughter?

Lois Duncan, who died in 2016 at 82, was a prolific writer best known for her young-adult mystery novels. Some of these, like I Know What You Did Last Summer, were made into films. In the 1980s her youngest child, 18-year-old Kaitlyn, was shot and killed behind the wheel of her car. The police seemed satisfied to leave the investigation at "random shooting," but Lois had reason to suspect that Kait's boyfriend, 10 years older, who had come to the U.S. as one of the Vietnamese "boat people," (I hope Trump isn't reading this) was involved with Asian organized crime. Who Killed My Daughter? is the story of a mother's determination to learn the truth.

I read the book decades ago, and in looking it up this morning, I found no reference to what I remember best: Well before Kait was murdered, her mother wrote a novel that foreshadowed the crime. It's no wonder that she eventually consulted psychics in her effort to find the killer.

The killer was never found, but Lois never gave up. A sequel, One to the Wolves, describes what she and her family went through in the process. At one point they were forced to change their names and go into hiding. Their original suspicions had turned out to be the tip of an unimaginably huge iceberg. For those who read true crime, it doesn't get any truer than this.

http://kaitarquette.arquettes.com

3 comments:

  1. oh, oh no. The idea that a novel she wrote could foreshadow real events like that just sends shivers up my spine.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...