Friday, June 15, 2018

5/ The Anesthesiologist

Okay, here’s my dilemma: When I had surgery late last year (nothing terribly  major), my experience with the anesthesiologist minutes beforehand was awful. Really upsetting. She was rude and nasty to me, refused my requests, and blamed me when I had a bad reaction to a totally unnecessary drug she administered. I knew immediately following the surgery that I wanted to write a letter to her, with a copy to the manager of the practice she belonged to. It took me six months to do this—partly because I can’t spend sustained periods of time staring at the computer monitor, partly because thinking about what happened made me so uncomfortable, and partly because I was so angry that my letter turned into a rant so long that no one would ever want to read the whole thing.

This week I finally edited it down (to two pages), and was all set to mail it when I discovered the address I had for her practice might not be correct. I Googled her to check on this, and ended up looking at her Facebook page. What I saw was a fun-loving family, totally at odds with my perception of her. Happy kids (of course, we’re all happy in FB photos, but still…) and involved dad. Not so many pics of her, but we all know how that goes. Anyway, now I’m not so sure I want to mail that letter. Maybe it has served its purpose? What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. She gave you versed when you told her not to? (am I correct in remembering that you had a horrible reaction to it?). You should definitely point this out. Happy family or not, she needs to see you. Too late for you, but perhaps it will help the next patient. I say this as someone who used to come out of anesthesia screaming choking and vomiting in a panic and versed changed all that...and never thought I could have it any different until the friend who brought me to my knee surgery spoke up for me. Your doctor should have listened and done what you asked. It's an add on. It isn't necessary. She was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it wasn't versed; when I signed the permission form I wrote NO VERSED above my signature. She gave me fentanyl. I felt all the life drain out of me. If someone had said, "You're dying," I would have believed them. And it wasn't needed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should have taken the time to listen to you. And your reaction should have been at the very least a learning experience for her. And I believe a letter about this will help her learn.

      Delete
  3. This is a tough decision, but I agree with Bridgett. You really need to send her the letter. Perhaps just her at first and if she responds in a way you find appropriate, then that's the end, but if she doesn't, send the copy to the manager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a tough call whether or not to complain about a health care provider, just in case you end up under their care again and they exact their revenge. But I agree with Bridgett and Dona: I think it's important to speak up about these things, otherwise their behaviour won't change (of course, it still might not, but on the other hand, they may actually appreciate this kind of feedback).

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this case there's little danger of her treating me again. The hospital is two hours away, and I went there for very specialized care. In the worst-case scenario, if I needed the same surgery again (which I hope is unlikely) I'm sure I could insist on having a different anesthesiologist.

    Thanks for the input! I may do yet another edit on the letter, but I will send it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late to the party, but I agree: the behavior should be reported. HOW you tell the story may change a little with this humanizing version of her before you, but it happened, and it's bothered you, and you should report it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether she has a happy family or not is irrelevant. If she genuinely has a happy family, there is even less justification for her behaviour towards you. Of course, we can never see the truth behind photos anyway. For that reason, I can't see why this would influence you?

    And I agree with others. She scared you, and upset you, and worse, she blamed you for the negative reaction you had to the drug she administered. Any good professional should welcome calm, constructive criticism, so that they can amend their behaviour and improve their services. (Can you tell that once I had a role as a Quality Assurance Manager?) Don't pull any punches, but be rational about it. I'd be happy to independently review your letter, though I'm sure it is perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...