Tuesday, April 3, 2018

3/ The Horse Thief

In July 2001, less than two months after my daughter Gillian died, my husband was in the ICU and a self-appointed* animal control officer posted an official-looking paper on my barn stating that because of neglect our 12 horses would be seized. I explained my situation and gave her references, but she held firm. Eventually it took only one f-bomb to make her disappear as though in a puff of smoke, never to return.


* I didn't know until after it was all over that she had tried similar stuff before but judges wouldn't work with her.
In the photo, Gillian is seated on Regina with Regina's baby, Xubi (Exuberance)—two of our "neglected" horses.

7 comments:

  1. What was her problem? Good for you for dropping the f-bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo. Did Gillian ride bareback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not usually. Most of our horses were Morgans, and Jill and her main show horse, Aurora, won a lot of ribbons, including championships, at Morgan horse shows. If I could figure out a way, I'd post a picture of them going over a fence. But she just had a wonderful relationship with all the horses--and all animals.

      Delete
  3. What Sabine (and then you) said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! So glad you thwarted the thief. Those two horses look just like two of my Breyer horses that I used to play with as a child.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...