Monday, April 23, 2018

23/ The Theater People

When my kids were little we performed in musical theater together. In one play about King Cole, the girls, ages 7 and 4, had lines and sang in the chorus, and I played Queen Lee. A George M. Cohan show, 45 Minutes From Broadway, was another favorite ("Grand Old Flag!"). And then there was the musical melodrama where I (age 38), as Nellie Quackenbush, sang to my (19-year-old) suitor, Noble Hart, about my virginity.


Suzanne, age 7, as Polly


Me as Queen Lee, 1980

7 comments:

  1. Is Nellie Quakenbush a historical figure? We had a Mrs. Quakenbush in high school. The name begged to be mocked, but the best we could come up with was Quackingbush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as far as I know; I just mentioned it because her name and Noble's were amusing. The play was No, No, a Thousand Times No.

      My high school's most mocked name was the Assistant Principal's: Mr. Bader.

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness. We used to call a classmate with a similar last name Master Bates.

      Delete
  2. When I did 45 Minutes From Broadsay with the girls, their brother was only 2. He came with us to rehearsals, running up and down the aisles while we sang all the numbers. After one rehearsal he went straight to the piano when we got home, without hesitation using one finger to play the first 11 notes of "Grand Old Flag."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun family you had/have. We only watched television -- never sang together.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...