Friday, December 21, 2018

2/ Places: Hospitals.

I can't talk about hospitals without bitching: 

Sleep is when we heal, and yet the ICU lights (fluorescents yet, which I think are unhealthy anyway) are kept on all night and the patients are awakened often.

We need nutritious food to heal, but many (most?) hospitals haven't gotten that message yet. Starch and grease, the institutional standard, seems to be the rule.

Physicians' Assistants have invaded the E.R. and probably the rest of hospitals as well. A PA's education consists of a bachelor's degree in anything, followed by two years of PA training. I haven't been impressed with those I've had dealings with. I suspect they were hired for decorative purposes.


6 comments:

  1. I am, however, happy with the NP's I've worked with, although I haven't encountered one in an ER (only office visits).

    I think about your "sleep is when you heal" adage a lot--you wrote that to me when I wrote my litany of the past year in a message board post. Every time I allow myself a nap, give myself permission to go to bed early, and so forth, I think, "but sleep is when you heal" and I do it. I will never get enough sleep on a regular basis, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NPs' educations prepare them much better for their jobs. I've found a BIG difference between CNPs and PAs. I'm glad you took my sleep advice to heart!

      Delete
  2. I've only been a patient in hospitals for pregnancy and childbirth reasons, but I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't comment on PAs' qualifications, but I agree completely with your comments on hospital lighting and food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to the above. Sleep is only just starting to be properly recognised as having value. I hate it when people start competing about how little sleep they need. It's like someone in NZ bragging about a tan. Argh.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...