Monday, October 15, 2018

15/ Reading Gravestones


As a volunteer gravestone photographer, I spend more time in cemeteries than most. I find cemeteries—so quiet and serene most of the time—relaxing places to be. But one thing about them scares me.

I usually photograph a cemetery’s oldest sections. Lots of young women died in childbirth 100+ years ago, and you see this reflected in the gravestones. The stones also tell a story of what life was like before we had vaccines. When diphtheria devastated a community, for instance, a family could lose multiple children in the same week. Or the same day.

I get where anti-vaxxers are coming from; I have strongly mixed feelings myself about modern medicine. But I’m afraid they haven’t thought this through. I wish I could take them on a very personal and very scary cemetery tour.


Children of Angeline Buckland Hudson (1843 – 1926):

          Hattie M. (1863 – 1865
          Sylvenus (1864 – 1870)
          Nettie (1866 – 1866)
          Willard (1867 – 1870)
          Oscar (1869 – 1877)
          Ambrose (1871 – 1877)
          Hattie L. (1874 – 1877)
          Harry (1876 – 1877)
          Blanche (1881 – 1881)

Angeline also had three sons who lived to adulthood: Clarence, Charles, and Ellsworth.



6 comments:

  1. 1877...can't imagine surviving that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely can't imagine it either. I've read that young wives were told "If you want to have four children, you need to have eight." And often babies weren't named until they were 3 or 4. The parents must have developed coping mechanisms to distance themselves from the young ones, although that would defy biology. So I just can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very scary, indeed. The risks to the world. To our lifestyles. To individuals.

    (I was at a cemetery a couple of days ago, in the old section too - I saw a lot of notations of young people's deaths.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. I am glad we have vaccines.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...