Sunday, September 2, 2018

26/ Dressing to Go Out, Part I


Dressing to Go Out

The neighbors took me with them
to buy a dress to bury my mother in.
I was nine. They may have thought I’d want
to be part of the process, or more likely
they didn’t know what else to do with me.

They let me think I helped
pick out the dress. It was black.
Black was something she wore for rare
evenings out, or more often gatherings
at home with their friends. Beer or mixed
drinks, food, music and laughter.
She owned a black velvet hooded cape,
Long and dramatic. My dad photographed
her in it, and in everything else. And in nothing.
His portraits of her fill albums, boxes.

I thought she’d like the black dress,
But I don’t know where I imagined
she’d wear it. Today the term
is “magical thinking.” I remember
the sickening shock of seeing her
in the coffin. I hear my loud hysterics,
see myself taken hurriedly out of the funeral home,
smell the cloying scent that comes back
to me every time I enter a florist shop.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Susan. I want to hug that 9-year-old you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I want to hug you - having to remember that, having to live without your mother, and having those reminders your entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Echoing everyone else. And I'm so glad you have all those pictures.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...