Saturday, August 4, 2018

4/ Bad Poem (Bad, Bad, Bad Poem)

This was beyond embarrassing. I read a notice of a bad-poetry contest that offered a cash prize to the worst poem they received. I entered the contest, using a poem I'd written for a similar BBS challenge years earlier. What the contest rules failed to mention was that selected entries would be published in a cheesy, "leather-bound" anthology without explaining that the poems were intentionally bad. Had I known that, I never would have put my real name on the poem. To make things worse, a sales pitch for the anthology was mailed to me in a window envelope that showed the whole effing poem. And my mail carriers are a curious bunch.

Sigh. Here's the poem.

8 comments:

  1. As I'm the only one in the group hasn't previously read the poem itself - it's like freaking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I figured the others wouldn't mind revisiting the poem. It still makes me laugh.

      Delete
  2. Hee hee... I would love to have a bad love poem published in a cheesy "leather-bound" anthology (copies of which I would give to everyone for Christmas).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's, like, enduringly and memorably bad. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has aged well. I was struck by the very same line I commented on then: My heart it like opened

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had completely forgotten that, but it is still wonderful!

    And I say once again, you should submit it to the Flight of the Conchords. It might make their movie.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...