Friday, August 24, 2018

19/ Writing as a Famous Person

It's interesting to do this, and I thought I'd do a lot more of them than I have so far.


                                      Eva Braun on Her Wedding Day


A man like you has made me a wife;
I can hardly wait for covetous eyes.
Doubt can’t mist their narrow minds;
you’ve chosen me before the world.

I’ll dangle my hand from a pretty car,
fingers callused from stubborn oars,
one golden now, like all the Fraus
who clucked at me through hoary stares.

You ask if I would die for you.
Silly man, you know I would.
Have I not sworn to follow you
even unto death, my Wulf?

I felt this promise from the first,
darkroom lit like planet Mars,
stirring rod moved back and forth,
my hand warm above the pans

of chemicals, and then I’d watch
your face emerge a hundred times.
Something about your eyes, I said,
but then we met.  But then we met.

Husband and wife.  Like anyone.
We need not embrace for them to know
you lift my hair and press my skin,
and let me touch you now and then.



5 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. And interesting to have chosen this person. I really like the line about Hitler's face emerging 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh, that would be interesting. I might try. Usually when someone says "Do Melania" to me, they mean do her voice. If I could translate that to the page . . .

      Delete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...