Thursday, July 5, 2018

5/ O. Henry

Growing up, a complete (I assume) collection of O. Henry short stories sat on my bookshelf, and I read my way through them. It's no wonder I enjoy writing stories with surprise endings. A few years back I submitted a short story with such an ending to Woman's World. It was rejected. I decided they must not have read it all the way through. So I submitted it again, this time with a cover letter that said in part, "I think you'll enjoy the twist at the end." This time it was accepted.

I wonder where those books are today. It seems inconceivable that we'd have thrown them out, but one never knows.

10 comments:

  1. Okay, I want to read your story now. And this is a lesson in the importance of marketing, even in short stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I haven't given her enough of a chance to say. Someone gave me a book of her stories years ago, but I never really got into it. I don't remember why.

      Delete
    2. She isn't as big a twist at the end as o Henry for sure. But there are a lot of shocking endings.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe your second submission worked. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I finally got around to reading O. Henry (I think Dean mentioned him) I recognized having seen some of the stories on television. (The Last Leaf in particular).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read your story too--I so enjoy twisted endings. Is it accessible online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not, but I might be able to scan it and send it as a PDF. However, don't get psyched up for serious literature. The magazine publishes light, romantic stories of 800 words.

      Delete
  6. I remember someone comparing your writing style to O Henry when we belonged to the now-defunct writing group. Until then I just thought it was a chocolate bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow--good memory! That's the sort of thing I should have remembered, but don't.

      Delete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...