Sunday, July 1, 2018

30/ I miss having a dog.

When Angel and then Wolfy died, I was without a dog for the first time in 47 years. I'd fallen twice on our icy dirt road, injuring my knees, and I was afraid the next time I'd risk breaking a hip. So at some point I'd stopped walking Angel and Wolfy. I tied a 30-ft. lead to the back door, and let them out that way. They were elderly and didn't need much exercise.

Because of that issue, with the addition of the cost of owning a dog and the complication of my cats (then five, now four), I've resisted getting another dog. But I actively miss that experience, and I'll always miss the dogs I have known and loved. Here are a few:

Music (pictured on a page from the photo book I made about 40 years of our pets)

Caroline, a true Collie-Shepherd

Thor and Thistle, brother and sister German Shepherds

Grown-up Thor

Thunder, our first German Shepherd

Holly, so spiritually connected to us

Angel

Wolfy


5 comments:

  1. Sweet pictures. I miss having cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand! Being a dog-and-cat person, I've endured stretches without one or the other species. And it is hard to find the correct cat-friendly dog without going through raising a puppy (which is so very hard).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want to imagine what a grilled cheese sandwich tastes like without dog hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. Caroline, your collie-shepherd, reminds me of our farm dogs. I miss having cats too.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...