Friday, July 27, 2018

21/ The Middle-School Years

Actually, in NYC we didn't have middle school when I was growing up. Seventh and eighth grades were called Junior High. Fifth and sixth were part of elementary school. I'm trying to remember which books were assigned for reading in the Catholic convent boarding school I attended for 5th and 6th grades, but I'm drawing a blank. I do remember that my dad brought me a Reader's Digest on one of his weekly visits, and the nuns took it away from me.

At home I favored light-hearted memoirs, possibly because they provided a cheerful distraction from my motherless, homesick life at the time.

Through Charley's Door, by Emily Kimbrough
Our Hearts Were Young and Gay, by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough
The Egg and I, by Betty MacDonald

4 comments:

  1. I'd never heard about The Egg and I until I visited the PNC where the author lived. One place in particular, but I cannot remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that book, and I was so disappointed some years later to learn she and "Bob" had gotten divorced.

      Delete
  2. I always feels so dreadfully sad for little Susan at the Catholic boarding school in those years. I'm glad you could escape into books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't feel sad, Mali. I was sad enough for both of us at first, but by the time I left two years later—well, I can't say I was sorry to leave, but I'd made friends and enjoyed some of what the beautiful school had to offer.

      Delete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...