Monday, July 16, 2018

15/ Balloons Over Broadway

My granddaughter, Liz, spent a couple of days with me last month. While looking at various things on my desk (there's lots to look at on my desk . . . layers, even) she discovered some of my dad's slides that I hadn't yet scanned. They were photos of balloons from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, circa early 1950s. We had fun looking at them together.

After she left, I was emailing with a young cousin who has a 5-year-old. My cousin Barbara's daughter, she inherited her mother's artistic talent and interest in art. She pays attention to picture-book illustrators, and in one of the emails she told me she's particularly fond of author-illustrator Melissa Sweet.

Naturally, I wanted to take a look at Melissa Sweet's art, so I went to Amazon. What should pop up first but Sweet's book about Tony Sarg, the man who invented Macy's parade balloons. I'm a big believer in (and appreciator of) signs, so of course I had to buy it.

Below the cover of the book is an image from one of my dad's slides.

Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade (Bank Street College of Education Flora Stieglitz Straus Award (Awards)) by [Sweet, Melissa]


10 comments:

  1. I'm a big believer in signs too.

    What was it your father for an income? (I'm pretty sure you mentioned it before, but I can't remember what it was.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was an accountant—the head of the accounting department of an oil firm. I've posted on FB lots of pictures he took at the office, including many office parties.

      Delete
    2. They must be fabulous, if they're anything like the one included here. Have you ever thought of making a coffee table book out of those photos?

      Delete
    3. Not for publication, but I've made several photo books from my own photos and one using just my dad's photos. That one is called Harry and Dotty, and it's about my parents. My mom was his favorite model. I plan to use more of his pics in more books, to give to the family.

      What I've sometimes thought about doing is putting together an exhibit of his office pictures, especially the office parties from the 1940s and 50s. These are almost all B&W. I'd need a grant, though, probably tough to get. The photos would have some historic value, though more likely appreciated in NYC, where they were shot. The other potential snag is that it's possible the people in the photos are still alive and some might object to the pictures being made public.

      Delete
    4. I think putting together an exhibit is a great idea. I know money is tough to get, but there must be lots of it for the arts in NYC. (And I would be more than happy to volunteer at the exhibit, especially if it's in NYC.)

      Delete
  2. A perfect story, and again, I'm in awe of your father's photos.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...