Saturday, June 16, 2018

7/ Sam's Club

I've been a member of Sam's Club for years. It made sense when I was feeding a family of five, but a lot less sense since I've been living alone. Plus the store is about 25 miles from me, and I don't go often. Still, Sam's was great for things I eat a lot of--like walnuts and almonds and pistachios, dried fruit, and the big boxes of spring mix greens they had before other stores stocked them. When I was selling regularly on eBay, Sam's was a good source of shipping supplies. Plus I often found great gifts--or gift ideas--there.

But things seem to be going downhill at Sam's. They stopped selling Diamond walnuts, and their Member's Mark brand isn't worth opening. If you do, you'll notice the rancid smell right away. The pistachios I bought recently could have been bought for the same price at Walmart (15 miles closer). And I was not happy with my latest box of spring greens, which was dominated by an unidentified rather coarse leaf attached to a too-long stem. For less than $1 more, Walmart's is much better.

On that same trip to Sam's I bought t-shirts for my grandsons. They wear sizes 4 and 8, so that's what I bought. But both had to be returned because they were way too small. So is my current opinion of Sam's Club.

6 comments:

  1. I have friends who belong who offer to take me on their card once in a while. I find the place so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss a lot by living in the boonies. It would be such a long drive to one of these places that I'm pretty ignorant of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's odd since Walmart and Sam's are owned by the same company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly one explanation is Walmart's current efforts to court the Amazon crowd. A number of prices have dropped, and ordering online and picking up at the store gets you a discount. But that doesn't explain the crappy spring mix at Sam's.

      Delete
  4. Don't you hate it when stores stop selling what you used to like, or their quality reduces? Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure we don't have a Sam's Club in Canada.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...