Tuesday, October 9, 2018

9/ A New York Thing to Say (Story, Part IV)


“Solution?” He sounded a little breathless.

“Well, yeah.”  I was starting to get impatient with his lack of enthusiasm.

“Sandy.”  He said my name the same way again, but before I could say his, he went on.

“Tell me this.”  He paused and I waited. “Have you ever killed anyone before?”

“Well, not a person per se,” I replied, pleased with myself for knowing how to use per se properly. “But I’ve slaughtered a lot of chickens and pigs. Pigs are pretty smart, by the way. I had one as a pet when I was little. But I got over that pet stuff. Growing up on the farm, you see a lot of blood flowing. I don’t think I’d have a problem.”

He didn’t respond. Stockbrokers are used to giving things a lot of thought. I waited a moment.

“Eric, you know how we always say it would be nice if I could go hear you play at Sweet P’s?”



5 comments:

  1. She certainly is. And I notice her name has five letters and starts with an "S," like someone else's we know. I hope this isn't a confessional, and/or a thin attempt at disguising a sordid past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I admit I've been to Washington Square a number of times. And I might even have sat on a bench. But I've never taken a MIDI composition course.

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe Eric is falling for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Sandy also wet the bed and light fires?

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...