Tuesday, July 24, 2018

18/ James Baldwin

I just finished reading James Baldwin's Wikipedia entry. Back when I was around 18 and reading his books (Go Tell It on the Mountain, Giovanni's Room, The Fire Next Time, Another Country), book jackets revealed as little about authors as they do today, but there was no easy way to learn more. All I remembered about James Baldwin is that he was black and gay. I didn't know his friends called him "Jimmy," and that he had many of them. I didn't know his stepfather was hard on Jimmy, treating him far more harshly than his eight biological children. I didn't know he lived most of his life in France, visited often by those friends. And before I read Giovanni's Room I didn't know how gay men had sex.

Giovanni's Room (Vintage International) by [Baldwin, James]

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean. (I tried!)

      Delete
    2. Ha! I misread your last line. I thought the word "many" was before "three." That's what happens when I read blogs after a day of editing and staring very closely at a manuscript on a screen!

      Delete
  2. Truly (re the last line). And perhaps why schools need a good sex-ed curriculum (Premier Doug Ford, take note: reverting to the 1998 one is a bad idea).

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...