Friday, February 23, 2018

23/Objects

I have three sewing machines: my mother's black 1941 Singer (sits on the hearth), the top-of-the-line Kenmore my husband bought me in 1970 with many attachments (too heavy now to lug up and down stairs), and the light, computerized Brother I bought myself a couple of Christmases ago. I used to sew for my kids--not terribly well, but with enthusiasm.


(The photo above is my mother wearing a dress made by her mother. My maternal grandmother was taken out of grade school and sent to work when her father died in a trolley car accident. Her first job was picking up pins in a dressmaking shop, and there she learned to sew beautifully.)

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress. And an interesting family flash story to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress. My mother used to make all of our clothes. I used to sew, but it is so much cheaper and easier to buy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sewing has become so expensive! A person could go broke in Jo-Ann Fabrics. I'm surprised they're still in business, though of course they cater to crafters too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never learned to sew but I do have my grandmother's sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...