Tuesday, October 30, 2018

18/ Aging Predictably

When I was 30 and a new mother, my closest friend was Emilie. I wrote about her in my 40 Words blog:

When cataracts forced Emilie to stop driving, she hitchhiked to and from work. She was 83. Around the same time she gave up everything unpleasant. Her daughters-in-law cleaned her house occasionally. Now she’s my role model for the next life.

Yes, housework was one of the unpleasant tasks Emilie gave up. She read books, listened to whale song records, and baked sponge cakes. I haven’t consciously given up cleaning, but I notice it’s not getting done. I have four cats and lots of road dust. Most of the time I don’t think about it. This is scary. I could use Emilie’s six daughters-in-law.


7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, we may have to rethink our plan to hold a meet-up at your place. Maybe bring your 4 cats and the contents of your wine cellar and we can all meet at Emilie's--she sounds like fun and we can indulge in sponge cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key would be six daughters-in-law for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cleaning is over-rated. As long as your bathroom is clean. And there isn't food rotting in the kitchen, you're fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Yeah, somehow I keep the bathrooms clean. I don't know if it's by rote or note. And no food rotting in the kitchen. Nor any other room. And my bed is made. This amuses me; it's my only neat habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that I am not the only person who finds housework unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a tiny house now and it's so easy to keep tidy. I downsized from 2700 square feet to 1500 (plus the attic where the girls live). It is not so exhausting anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how far I'd have to downsize to ever have a truly tidy home! Probably to a size that would require Rich to live in a tent. But Mali is 100% right - as long as the bathroom isn't scary and nothing is growing/morphing in the kitchen, you're fine!

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...