Saturday, October 13, 2018

13/ If it ain't one thing, it's another . . .


Remember the horror movies where the house turns on the residents? Or maybe it was a short story by Shirley Jackson. Whatever, I can relate. It started with my camera—the one I grab first most of the time. It had seen a lot of use, and when it failed I replaced it immediately. A big chunk of money for me, but little did I know how many chunks I’d soon be chipping off my bank account.

Next, the chest freezer in the basement began to fail. I bought a new one. Then my laser printer decided 16,000+ pages over 15 years was enough, and it stopped printing. Around that time I discovered the upstairs toilet was leaking. I need to call a plumber, but I’ve been dealing with mildew that appeared all over the wood walls, beams, and ceiling of the guest room. Bought a dehumidifier. And a face mask.

Oh, and the roof has started leaking.  


9 comments:

  1. At least my Speed Queen washer is back to working normally (all by itself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our refrigerator is working again (by itself too).

      Delete
  2. Oh, I feel for you. Houses can be such money and energy pits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I remember some cartoon (New Yorker?) with a woman at a table with her checkbook noting that she had an extra $100 and several of her appliances begin plotting behind her back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling your pain! We just contracted to get a much-needed fence installed, and immediately the furnace got a glitch, and then wiring to the well pump fizzled out. Hoping that our cars don't decide to jump in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL at your description of the cartoon, IB. I spent an hour at the tire place this afternoon getting a tire leak fixed. Making app'ts for a couple of quotes on a new effing roof. But my beautiful daf (drum) arrived today from Turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sucks. I feel your pain. (After a year long driveway repair a few years ago that cost six figures to complete, and a list a mile long of other things that need fixing - the roof, a leaking entranceway, etc.)

    ReplyDelete

27/ Places: Selling Stuff

I've been selling stuff (there's no better word to describe things we've owned but no longer want) online for a dozen or more ye...